The Ambassador’s residence has long been kept under wraps, with only a lucky few able to peek beyond the hall door of the Phoenix Park residence.
Last year however, The New York Times took a look around the residence, built in 1776 by Colonel John Blaquiere, the British government’s chief secretary. The mansion, which is rented from the Irish government for a $1 a year, has been the ambassador’s residence since 1949.
Last year was the first time that any major work had been done on the house since 1952 with former Ambassador Thomas C. Foley investing between $400,000 and 500,000 of his own money on the house.
You can now take an online tour of the house that guests have included Presidents Kennedy, Clinton and George H. W. Bush, as well as celebrities like Bing Crosby and Princess Grace of Monaco.
Journal Media does not control and is not responsible for user created content, posts, comments, submissions or preferences. Users are reminded that they are fully responsible for their own created content and their own posts, comments and submissions and fully and effectively warrant and indemnify Journal Media in relation to such content and their ability to make such content, posts, comments and submissions available. Journal Media does not control and is not responsible for the content of external websites.