OVER THE NEXT two nights, 32 Roses from around the world will take to the Tralee stage for a grilling from local boy Dáithi O Sé.
An Irish tradition like no other (this is the 53rd annual festival), the women will dance, sing and recite poetry in the hopes of impressing both the judges and the judgemental public.
Who knows what is in store for this year’s finalists – a place in hip-hop dancing lore, a wedding to the host or a stint on Big Brother XII (we made that one up, that never happened) – but first they have to be put through their paces in the Dome.
Here at TheJournal.ie HQ, we’ve already picked our favourites and we’ve put together a giant quiz to help you choose who to cheer for. We’ve cherry-picked some of the most interesting, albeit slightly odder, sentences from the lovely ladies’ bios and are asking you to match the descriptions to the faces. Good luck – and let us know how you get on in the comments section. Get the answers through the link after the slideshow.
Note: these are in no way complete descriptions or bios of the contestants. The complete and agonisingly impressive full versions can be found here.
- a. This 26-year-old was a housekeeper to six priests and worked in the largest sheep abattoir in Australia.
- b. This 21-year-old recently adopted a wild mustang and called her Rosie.
- c. This 23-year-old will soon begin working as an allocation analyst after graduating with a degree in Economics & International Affairs (Bonus points if you know what an allocation analyst is)
- d. This 21-year-old plays ladies football, sings, acts, dances, plays the piano and dabbles in a bit of tag rugby.
- e. This 23-year-old can help relieve you of your bad habits and phobias.
- f. This 27-year-old once saved a woman from drowning in Portnoo, Donegal.
- g. This 27-year-old was an international gymnast and holds the record for the longest handstand at her local gym.
- h. This 27-year-old has just taken up running to see why people enjoy it.
- i. This 25-year-old can change a tyre, flush plasterboard and make a wedding cake.
- j. This 24-year-old enjoys spontaneous dancing.
- k. This 25-year-old can sail a square-rigged vessel and has learned Kung Fu.
- l. This 21-year-old loves pate, chocolate, shoes and banter.
- m. This 22-year-old wants to get more young people interested in farming.
- n. This 25-year-old knows how to play the saxophone and her ‘likes’ include chocolate, flowers, gardens and open fires.
- o. This 22-year-old came second place in Cavan’s Got Talent.
- p. This 21-year-old is a Zumba instructor who is a big fan of seafood and Mardi Gras and St Patrick’s Day parades.
- q. This 19-year-old has participated in the World Irish Dancing Championships.
- r. This 25-year-old has completed a 20-mile obstacle course in mud.
- s. This 26-year-old wants to own a coffee shop and visit all the islands off the coast of Ireland.
- t. This 26-year-old plays GAA with French, German and Scandinavian women.
- u. This 27-year-old wants kids to eat more fruit and vegetables.
- v. This 23-year-old is fascinated by the speedy weight-loss of horseracing jockeys.
- w. This 18-year-old writes poetry, plays the flute, swims, dances, has taken part in charity fashion shows and used to have her own fashion blog.
- x. This 24-year-old was named the Most Charitable Student at her school. Her mother and father also met at the Rose of Tralee festival. Awww.
- y. This 24-year-old loves nibbling on cheese and strawberries and has met the Dalai Lama.
- z. This 25-year-old has met with Queen Elizabeth II.
- aa. This 23-year-old has abseiled the Europa Hotel in Belfast.
- bb. This 22-year-old is passionate about the bagpipes.
- cc. This 24-year-old is such a clean-freak she set up her own cleaning company.
- dd. This 27-year-old has a weakness for chicken, stuffing and mayonnaise sandwiches.
- ee. This 23-year-old is an aspiring actress and part-time pub worker.
- ff. This 27-year-old travelled outside her country for the first time in April.