THE OFFICIAL CHARTS are now taking streaming into consideration. STREAMING, if you like.
We remember when all this was fields etc. Life before streaming and iTunes was so hard. Here’s just a few reasons why.
1. Vinyl, in general
It would always be scratched during your favourite song, and you had to guess where the song you wanted started.
It looked nice though, in fairness.
2. If you wanted a song for free, you had to wait for it on the radio and hit record
None of your fancy on-demand streaming here. The DJ would always talk over the end. ALWAYS.
3. Then there was the wait for the name of a song you liked to be announced
Turn that radio up during the links, lean in or you’ll miss it. Shazam was but a futuristic hope.
4. When your walkman would skip when running
Dammit. You spent AGES picking out that one CD to listen to over and over again.
5. Picking a song on your Walkman was just a lot of guess work
Yep, that’s about the right amount of time to fast forward.
6. Rewinding the tape was a pain in the hoop
Especially if it got all caught and started spilling out.
7. Not to mention having to take it out to turn it around for the B side
SO MUCH EFFORT.
The sound was deeply satisfying though.
8. Minidiscs were the height of innovation, but never caught on
You invested so much into this technology. So much.
9. To watch a music video, you had to wait for it to be shown on MTV
YouTube has reduced the struggle considerably. We couldn’t even vote on TRL in Ireland so had to leave the choice in American hands.
10. Sharing music involved a mixtape and splitting earphones
Soundcloud links and Dropbox transfers were but a dream.