THOUSANDS OF REVELLERS have already descended on the Oxegen site in Punchestown in Co. Kildare, and tens of thousands more will make the journey today, hopefully with their wellies in tow. The main arena opens today with music from The Strokes, Tinie Tempah, The Script, Black Eyed Peas and House of Pain on offer.
In case you’ve ever wondered just how many toilet stops there are around the site, here’s the festival in numbers:
- 50 bottles of champagne will be available backstage, along with 75 bottles of vodka, 136 bottles of red wine and 200 cases of beer
- 52 miles of fencing are used around the site, with a ring of steel constructed around the entire festival area to keep the revellers in, and the ticketless out
- The capacity of Oxegen is 80,000, and organisers say that running the festival is just like running a town for the weekend
- 3 to 12 are the sizes of free wellies available from the Shuh Welly Exchange this weekend
- Oxegen boast 6 stages : Main Stage, Heineken Green Spheres, 2FM Hotpress Academy Stage, Vodafone Stage, Red Bull Electric Ballroom and the Tribute Stage in the blue campsite.
- 2 pool tables are available for musicians to chill out in the backstage area
- There are 21 toilet stops on the Oxegen site, each of them boasting dozens and dozens of portaloos
- 7,000 car parking spaces are available at the park and ride facility at Goffs
- 400 cleaners gathered 150 tonnes of waste from the site after Oxegen 2010, with 50 per cent of that heading for recycling
- 60 is the number of minutes Gardaí say it might take to leave the festival car parks at the end of the weekend…so be patient
- 28,000 miles of cables are used to pump power around the site
- Around 150 acts will perform across the six stages over the weekend
- More than 200 Gardaí will patrol the site and last year 125 people were arrested while there were 360 drug seizures
- 2 is the number of members of Rubberbandits, who will say mass for campers on Sunday morning. It’s not yet been confirmed if there will be a horse outside