A RABBIT HAS been credited with alerting a family to a fire in their house – by scratching on his owner’s chest.
But it was a sad ending for the rabbit, who died of smoke inhalation after saving the family members’ lives.
The incident took place in Ketchikan, Alaska, on Tuesday 13 September, when a woman who lived on the town’s Austin Street woke up to her pet rabbit scratching her chest at just after 4am, Sit News reports.
The woman realised that her home was full of smoke and woke her daughter, who exited the house with her.
When fire officers from the Ketchikan Fire Department arrived at 4.13am they saw heavy smoke and flames pouring from the basement and were able to bring the fire under control quickly.
The mother and daughter survived thanks to the actions of the rabbit – but the hero animal sadly died, having breathed in too much smoke.