IT’S BEEN A tough week here in Ireland.
Our sixth austerity Budget brought us a property tax and expensive wine for Christmas, and even 100-year-olds aren’t getting a break.
But we’re still one of the world’s happiest countries, according to science.
So why would that be? Well, plenty of things:
1. Anne Doyle is a revered national figure
Is there one among us that hasn’t dreamed of this?
2. The TV3 Santa Baby
4. Obama’s limo not being able for Ireland
And Ray D’Arcy with hair. Let’s not forget that.
6. Maniac 2000
YEAH YEAH FUNKY YEAH. This was number one for 10 weeks. Thanks to us.
7. The guy falling on the ice
8. The Mary Robinson Tapestry Rug
Now gone from its rightful place looking out over Dame Street. Much missed.
9. Jean Byrne
Er, best weather woman in the world? Right over here.
10. Our President gives great hugs
Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland
11. The Rubberbandits
Keep your Jay-Z. Pah.
12. This man is one of our best-known TV stars
13. That Twink voicemail (NSFW)
Couldn’t have happened anywhere else. Because Twink wouldn’t exist anywhere else.
14. Even Harry Potter parties when he’s here
Pic: Darren Cleary
If your heart is not now warmed, it is made of stone. Check yourself into hospital immediately.
16. Will Ferrell loves us
And we love him right back.
17. The Reeling In The Years Italia ’90 Montage
We may be rubbish now. We may never do anything like this again. But we will ALWAYS have this montage.
18. Any craic? Níl.
And the Late Late Toy Show in general. Hundreds of thousands of adults sitting down to watch a show about toys in total seriousness. That’s Ireland.
19. Zig and Zag’s Christmas Rap
Still fresh after all these years.
And the many other places just as beautiful.
21. Fairytale of New York
Because it makes Irish people happy in the best possible way. By making us sad. Enjoy!