TODAY IS KELSEY Grammer’s birthday, and thank goodness for that. Were it not for the advent of his birth, we may not have ever had Frasier.
Without Frasier, we would never have encountered Niles, Martin or Daphne, and may not have learned some of the powerful lessons the show taught us over its eleven series.
Lest we forget the importance of such a programme, let’s review some of the best things we learned from it over the years.
1. Nobody likes a whinger.
2. You can overcome awkward moments like this one.
Nile’s spent 7 seasons of Frasier madly in love with Daphne and acting like a total eejit around her, like in this scene.
She still managed to fall in love with him.
3. Even the most pedestrian moments can be an opportunity for drama.
4. Avoid calling people unusual names in the bedoom where possible.
It can come back to haunt you.
5. Sibling rivalry can work against you.
In this scene, Frasier and Niles are about to have lunch with some Nobel prizewinners.
Each keen to be seen as the smarter brother, they have spent hours studying…with hilarious results.
6. It’s better when you get on with your brothers and sisters.
7. You can do anything you put your mind to.
If Niles can manage this, you can do anything.
8. Sometimes you don’t actually have to be seen or heard to make an impact.
Maris had a powerful presence, without ever appearing in any scene.
9. Taking a principled stand can sometimes work against you.
10. When things go wrong, be cool.
In this scene the gang find themselves on the wrong side of the Canadian border, where Daphne’s visa does not permit her to be.
Calmness is not their biggest virtue.
11. A dog is a man’s best friend.
12. What’s for you won’t pass you.
The path to true love did not run smoothly for Niles and Daphne, but they got there in the end.
13. A little bit of mischief never did anyone any harm.