IT WAS HARD to walk. I needed to drink milk to neutralise the burning, which was hard because I was hyperventilating so much my hands had seized up.
These are the words of a man who ate a burger, and lived to tell the tale (after spending the night in hospital).
Two journalists from The Argus went to the Burger Off restaurant in Hove to try their infamous chilli burger.
The meal is described as ‘XXX Hot Chilli Burger, Over 18s Only’ and it contains a sauce hotter than pepper spray.
Pete Bennett from Big Brother gave it a go last year. It looked grim. He did not look well afterwards.
Source: Chris Sadler/YouTube
This screengrab from B1 magazine suggets that Bennett received medical attention after completing the challenge.
Source: Burger Off/Twitter
Arron Hendy and Ruari Barratt from The Argus didn’t get anywhere near Pete’s tolerance for the burger.
In fact, both men were hospitalised after taking just one bite each.
Hendy said that he was in so much pain he was telling people he felt like he was dying, while Barratt suffered severe stomach pain and lost the feeling in his hands.
The Argus reports that customers at Burger Off are required to sign a waiver before trying the challenge, and that this isn’t the first time someone has been hospitalised.
The sauce is an Indian concoction, and uses thousands of piri piri chilis in each kilo.